Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Skinny on Recovery...

Christmas is right around the corner and I haven't really done a "holiday" post, shown you our holiday decor, shared any yummy recipes......Should I be feeling a bit guilty????


Well, to be honest, I don't feel guilty.  I won't allow myself to....(even though, as I sit and browse all the beautiful posts on other blogs, I am slightly tempted to feel just a wee bit like I've been slacking.)  

Of course, most of this is due to the fact that I am still recovering from my total hip replacement on December 2nd.  Things went well - except for the reaction to the morphine that left me totally nauseated and unable to keep anything down the first 24 hours.  I ended up only spending two days in the hospital, as the doctor wanted me home before a winter storm hit and things got icy.   Once I was home and settled, the real recovery began.  

The first few days are a bit of a drugged blur, thank goodness.  I remember hurting; I remember needing help just to get out of bed, feeling totally dependent on my husband and my mom, who were taking care of me around the clock.  But, by the end of the first week, the physical therapist from the home health agency was coming to the house and working with me.  Once I was moving around more, each day seemed to get just a bit better.  The anesthesia and heavier drugs worked their way out of my system and I felt stronger and more like myself every day.  

I rested, slept and watched TV in the recliner.  (I think I have seen every single Hallmark Christmas movie ever made!)  I fell in love with green Jello.  I gradually regained my ability to focus and read e-mails and texts (although answering those the first few days was difficult, as the medication had letters floating in front of my eyes).  It took me over a week to actually pick up a book and concentrate enough to read!  But, the haze began to clear as my body began to heal. 

As for regaining my mobility - at first, I leaned heavily on the walker and it was a lifesaver when I was using the toilet.  (I swear, I never realized how much upper body strength would come into play!)  Now, I only use it when I first get up in the morning - I am so stiff and ache all over from lying so rigid on my back while asleep.  During the day, I have already graduated to the cane and am allowed to walk short distances inside the house without the use of the cane, as long as my gait doesn't become compromised.  (No limping allowed!)

This week, I have been out of the house daily - to the doctor's office and P/T, to the office for a few minutes, and even to Kohl's with my trusty walker for a single spin around the store (which was plenty, believe me!).  Just last night, Eddie Dale loaded me and the dogs up and took us to the Sonic for supper and to prowl around a nearby neighborhood to look at Christmas lights. 

I have to say, I am thrilled with how recovery is coming along - as is my doctor and my physical therapist.  I am trying really hard not to be impatient and overdo it!  I have no doubt that as I continue to heal, I will be so glad to have this new non-arthritic hip!  And, although this holiday season has been quite different from the usual "hustle and bustle" of prior holidays, I am sure it will be one I will always remember.  

With my mom's help, I was able to get the house freshened up a bit and drag out the camera for a few photos.  I am working to get them edited and hope to have a post up shortly to show you how we ended up decorating for Christmas.  Trust me, it is simple this year, but still very cozy and festive around here.  

So, how about you?  Are your holiday preparations coming along as planned?  What's happening in your little corner of the world as we barrel full-steam towards the 25th?  

Hugs, 

Janie



  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...