Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Toughin' Out Winter....

And Old Man Winter just keeps hanging on!


The temperature just keeps fluctuating, with front after front pushing through.  We have had some of the most bitter cold this season - seriously, lows in the single digits make it mighty hard to get moving in the mornings!

As we get into February, we have ice on the ground.  Granted, temps today edged up slightly above freezing, so everything is dripping.  But, it still cuts right through me every time I take the dogs out!  I cannot state emphatically enough...

I AM READY FOR SPRING!!!

Oh, so ready to work in the flower bed out front, cutting back the brown and tangled mums and lantana.  The large flower pot is filled with freezer burnt geraniums.  Leaves are piled up in the beds and we need a new layer of mulch.  I am eager to get my gloves on and get out the clippers and rake and get down in the dirt!

One side of the house is scraped, sanded and primed, just waiting for a fresh coat of paint.  All we need is warmer weather so we can get out there and get started.  This is a photo of the way we left it at the end of Summer.... not so good, to say the least!


Not only does the dreary weather affect me physically, but emotionally, as well.  Some days, I find that my outlook and mood are as gray as the day outside. 
 
I know that most of the rest of the county is also locked in this "deep freeze" pattern.  Are the gray and dreary days starting to wear on you this Winter?  Maybe if we all close our eyes and wish together, very hard, for Spring to come early, it will!  Who is with me in a concentrated effort to "wish" on Spring???
 
Stay warm, Friends!
 

9 comments:

  1. You are speaking my language, Jane! Every time I walk out on the porch and pass my pots of crunchy dead mums, I just pine for warm sunny days when I can start planting! The cold dreary days certainly do make you feel ho-hum, don't they? Here's hoping spring comes quickly for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are supposed to be in the 70's by the weekend, Amber! I am nearly giddy with excitement! I hope you at least get to thaw up a bit up there - really feeling for ya, girl!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jane,

    So nice to meet you!

    I hope it's okay that I made myself at home and took a little tour around your beautiful blog, reading a little bit about you and your lovely family! I look forward to getting to know you through our mutual visits and 'teaming up' with you in a 'concentrated effort' to bring on the blooms and make room for Spring!

    Happy to be following you back!

    For now, wishing you a wonderful, wintry weekend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Poppy! I am sure our weather is much different here, but this year has seemed particularly cold, with front after front slamming us. Normally, it is much more moderate. They are forecasting high's up to the 70's by this weekend, so I am hoping that the end of winter is in sight - at least temporarily. Keep wishing for us, though!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Jane!

    I saw your comment on a blog and I had to pop over! I have heard that those of you down in Texas have been getting some cold weather, even ice and snow. I'm in the Midwest and it's either freezing or snowing. Driving is tough, but on good days I have to get out...even if it's to the grocery store! lol! Yep, I get the blues a bit, too.

    So nice to meet you. You have a great blog! :)

    XO,
    Jane
    (See why I had to come over?!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jane! (Gee, that seems a bit strange to type....). I know I shouldn't complain because so much of the country has it so much worse. Can't help it, though - I am just not a cold weather person! I haven't risked being out on the ice since I'm still recovering from a total hip replacement in December. Trust me, if my husband would have let me have the keys, I would have been out the front door and in the car today, ice or no ice - I am just that stir crazy! Hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  4. I know how hard it must be for those of you down South who are not used to winters like this. Unfortunately spring is a long ways away up here in Ohio where it seems hopeless. I have been working on a big inside project which has helped me cope with the endless snow and cold. Some days I find myself even happy I can watch the snow come down knowing I don't have to go anywhere. It's like an excuse or permission to just be lazy and lounge around. Keeping a list of things that need done before it warms outside makes the days go faster for me, since there is so much to do. I need to paint some of my house outside too. I wish mine was scraped and primed like yours. I hope to do that as soon as it warms so I'm not painting in the heat of summer. Don't lose hope - spring will come soon - at least for you. We're still below zero here.
    Cindy
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Cindy, I have hope - the forecast is up in the 70's this weekend. But, at this point, the thought of a little sunshine has me giddy. I can't imagine what it must be like to live farther north. We've had some single-digit temps this year and it is just brutal. But, hopefully, y'all are better prepared for it. Hope you have some sunshine and warmer weather soon! Hang in there!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jane,

    Since my last visit, (and today, after yours), you have had some snow in your southern neck of the woods; in fact, it made international headlines! Our world is changing, or rather, WE are making it change, in ways that it is not accustomed to! In any case, I hope you are making the best out of it and trying to 'smooth' out your 'tough' wintry woes!

    Happy Monday!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...